India is blessed with countless hill stations and they are spread all over the Indian territory. Many of them are considered to be fitting destinations for honeymoons and other romantic holidays. Hill stations provide a retreat from the dreary daily grind that we get into in the place where we live. The hill stations in India have a very soothing effect and are quite different from the ones that are located on different parts of the globe. The hill stations are known to have old world sensibilities and that is one of the major reasons behind them being coveted as holiday destinations by people. All that you needed to know about the major hill stations of India, how to get there and the major attractions have been described in this post. Take a look at perfect holiday homes india, compiled for you all.
Located in: Uttarakhand
Best time to visi: From Mach to June followed by September and October
Connectivity to the main cities of the country – The city is well connected to all the major cities of the country by rail, road and air. The most comforting the road journey though, as you get to see many beautiful locales on the way.
By road – There are roads that connect most part of North India to Nainital and the one that grabs most attention is the National Highway 87. There are public transport services provides and known as ISBT Anand Vihar. Most people start their road journey from Delhi as it is just 9 hours away from Nainital.
By rail – Nainital does not have a railway station of its own. The nearest one is at Kathgodam, which is 41kms from the place. There are buses and taxis that are present just outside the station that will take you to Nainital. The main trains that take you to this station are as follows:
- Ranikhet Express (5013B)- From Old Delhi to Katgodham
- Uttarakhand Sampark Kranti Express- From Old Delhi to Katgodham
- Bagh Express (3019)- From Howrah, Kolkata to Katgodham
By air – The Pant Nagar airport is the airport that you will need to land at and from there you will need to take a taxi or bus to the Katgodam or Nainital.
Places of interest in Nainital – The place is known for its treks and other adventure sports, but there are quite a few religious sites as well. They are the Naina Devi temple, Seeta Bani temple etc. Other places that are worth a mention are Naini Lake, snow View trek, Bohtia Bazaar, Naukuchia Tal, Nada-Devi Mela etc.
Other things to do in Nainital
- Go horse riding on the main mall of the town
- Trek to Thandi Sadak, which is one of the most serene and romantic places of the town
- Visit Bhimtal aquarium, that has exotic fish from all over the world
- Shop from the local markets for the handicrafts made by the townspeople
- Visit the viewpoint between Nainital and the Kilsbury town, it offers a decent view of the Himalayas
Located at: Nilgiri District, Tamil Nadu
Best time to visit: The place has a moderate climate and can be visited at any time of the year
Connections to the other cities of the country – Ooty is known as “The Queen of hill stations” and is one of the most desired holiday spots of the country. Thus, the place has been well connected to the other parts of the world.
By road – the network of roads that connects the cities are very well developed. It is mainly connected to the parts of South India. Buses and taxis can be taken from the major cities of the country and the rates are very nominal.
By rail – There are trains that connect the city to parts of South India and the one that is most talked about is the toy train that is known as the Niligiri Toy Train connects Mettupalayam and Coonoor.
By air – The closest airport to Ooty is situated at Coimbatore, which is 105km from the town. Once alighted from the airport, you need to take a train or cab to Ooty and these are easily available as just outside the airport. Main flights to Coimbatore are:
- Spicejet SG211 Flights from Delhi to Coimbatore; daily
- Airindia AI406 Flights from Delhi to Coimbatore; only on Sundays
- Spicejet SG109 Flights from Mumbai to Coimbatore; every day
- Jetairways 9W416 Flights from Mumbai to Coimbatore; on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays
- Jetairways 9W448 Flights from Bangalore to Coimbatore; only on Saturdays
- Jetlite S25007 Flights from Bangalore to Coimbatore; on Mondays, Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays
Places of interest – The main places of interest are Botanical Garden, Government museum, Kalhatty Falls, Mudumalai Wildlife Sanctuary and National Park, Mini Garden and Rose garden, Ooty lake etc.
- Other attractions of the city
- Go for the train ride along the hillside
- Trek to the Doddabetta peak
- Try the homemade chocolates that are available in the local markets of the town
- Get some Nilgiri oil, that is known to have medicinal properties
These are the three best hill stations of India. Visiting them will be a thrilling experience for you and you need not worry about getting an accommodation in these places as there are many hotels, lodges and guest-houses where you can put up while you are there. You need to make sure to pack your warm clothes for this journey as it may get cold during the night in these places.